Born in 1975 in Ljubljana. He studied Slavic languages and literature at the Faculty of Arts, University of Ljubljana. During his studies he wrote reviews and translated. He was one of the founders of the cultural journal Balcanis which the founders of the cultural journal Balcanis which covered current events and issues from the countries of former Yugoslavia and was published is several languages. He was member of the editorial board for five years. During this period he became increasingly involved in film production where he is still active today. Several years of work together helped SG to create a homogenous production team. which now has an established name that can choose among the best Slovene directors. He is president of association of Slovenian film producers. In 2014 he graduated at EAVE in 2014 and Ex- Oriente in 2015. In 2015 he was selected as Producer on the Move. Since 2016 he is a president of the Association of Slovenian producers.
As producer or executive producer he has been involved in the following film projects:
- Pater Stanislav Škrabec – the Father of Slovene Phonetics (dir: Marjaž Žbontar, Festival of Slovene Film (FSF) 2006)
- You Are the Only Boss in This House (dir: Dimitar Anakiev; FSF 2007, competition programme Montpelier 2007)
- I know (dir: Jan Cvitkovič, winner of FSF for Best Short Film, special jury award in Sarajevo 2008, competition programme in Locarno, 2008)
- Stealing Corn (dir: Martin Turk, short feature film, 2009)
- Total gambit (dir: Jan Cvitkovič, documentary, 2010)
- My, yours, ours (dir: Siena Krušič, Tv series, 2010)
- Words beyond the view (dir: Matjaž Latin, documentary, 2011)
- Archeo (dir: Jan Cvitkovic, feature fiction film, 2011)
- Hundred dogs (dir.: Jan Cvitkoič, short fictin film, 2012)
- Architect of the Mediterranean (dir.: Boris Bezič, documentary, 2012)
- Zoran my idiot nephew (dir.: Matteo Oleoto, fiction feature film, 2013)
- Reconciliation (dir.: Janez Burger, short fiction film, 2014)
- A fight for (dir.: Siniša Gačić, feature documentary, 2014)
- Conversations about Vitomil Zupan (dir.: Janez Burger, documentary, 2014)
- Dancing with Maria (dir.: Ivan Gergolet, feature documentary, 2014)
- Life is like a trumpet (dir.: Antonio Nuić, feature fiction film, 2014)
- The tree (dir.: Sonja Prosenc, feature fiction film, 2014)
- Love on the top (dir.: Jan Cvitkovič, short fiction film, 2015)
- Walnut Roll (dir.: Žiga Pokorn, shrot animation, 2015)
- Stairway (dir.: Miroslav Mandić, short fiction film, 2015)
- Little Prince (dir.: Matej Peljhan, short documentary, 2015)
- Who are you actually? (dir: Siena Krušič, Petra Seliškar, documentary TV series, 2015)
- First 10 - REMAKE (dir.: Janez Burger, short documentary, 2016)
- Who are you actually2? (dir: Siena Krušič, Petra Seliškar, Maja Križnik, documentary TV series, 2015)
- Fishing (dir.: Jan Cvitkovič, short fiction film, 2016)
- Liberation day - Laibach in North Korea (dir.: Morten Traavik, Ugis Olte, feature documentary, 2016)
- Ivan (dir.: Janez Burger, feature fiction film, 2017)
On Monday, February 8, we finished shooting the series I Wanted to Become a Rock Star 2, directed by Matteo Oleotto.
Serbian director Ivan Ikić and his film Oasis won the “Roberto Roselini” award for best director at the 4th International Film Festival “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” in the Chinese city of Pinjau. Congratulations!
The film OROSLAN by director Matjaž Ivanišin received the main jury award in the Independent Film section at LIFFE - Leskovac International Film Festival. The jury wrote in its explanation: "With its brilliant concept, imaginative form and witty realization," Oroslan "stands out not only in regional cinematography with its originality, but also deserves an important place on the map of European film with its quality. the tape contributes to the timeless impression of film, which with its copyright may belong more to the golden age of film art in the 1960s and 1970s than it does today. "
Ivan Ikić's minority co-production OASIS received the Golden Trolley award for the best feature film at the Zagreb Film Festival. The jury wrote in its explanation: “The film shows people who have been isolated all their lives and the world rarely gives them the opportunity to feel successful in something. It’s a creation that transcends the category of best film and the boundaries of best actors; through the process itself, it gives a hand to those who need it, giving actors the opportunity to become exceptional while expressing and showing that love needs little and that these people are capable of it. The Golden Trolley Award goes to the director and his team, who managed not to betray the trust they had gained. That is why they can be the ones who will convey to the world the cry of those whom no one wants to hear. "
We convinced the European Commission with five projects in the European Creative Europe - Media call: four feature films and a short animated film!
Funds were received for the following projects: The Lost Son directed by Darko Štantet, Observation by director Janez Burger, Without Words by Hanna Slak, Freedom or Barbarism by Karpo Godina and Želimir Žilnik, and the short animated film Bimberli written by Andrej Predin and directed by Rok Predin .
OASIS, a film by Serbian director Ivan Ikić, received the award for best European film in the Giornate degli autori section. The award is given by the Europa Cinemas network, whose members are also cinematographers from the Slovenian Art Cinema Network. The jury pointed out in the explanation: ‘’ This is a beautifully shot and very poetic film, which stood out in this year’s Authors ’Days program and was a unanimous selection for the award winner. Ikić's Oasis is a gentle and shocking, but at the same time pure and uncompromising view of the life and love of young people with special needs in a state institution. The director treats his natural actors with a lot of attention and great respect, and they give it back to him with an extremely strong and natural performance. The script is perfectly structured and the photography offers beautiful, unforgettable scenes. This is a movie that viewers should see in the cinema. Perhaps the simplest thing is to say that we can't wait to see this film again as soon as possible. "
OROSLAN, a feature film by Matjaž Ivanišin, won the Vesna Award for supporting role at the 22nd Slovenian Film Festival, which went to Milivoj Miki Roš. Jury's explanation: "Milivoj Roš Miki managed to make such a strong impression in his acting prowess in a few minutes of film narration that it is impossible to imagine a film without him. He moves from acting narration to intimate and bitter confession with incredible ease. Miki showed us again how strong and inspiring the player's charisma can be. "
The feature-length documentary STORKMAN, directed by Tomislav Jelinčič (director of photography: Alan Stanković), received the Audience Award at the 18th Liburnia Festival. Congratulations to the director and the crew!
OROSLAN (director: Matjaž Ivanišin) received the Brenk Award for top achievements in the field of film, awarded by KINO!. This year, the Municipality of Maribor awarded the director the Glazer Charter for Outstanding Contribution.
The feature film Ivan, directed by Janez Burger, received several Vesna awards at 20th jubilee edition of the Festival of Slovenian Film. Among other awards it was presented with the best feature and the jury explained its choice wiht the following words:"With Ivan Burger created a vertiginous danes of images and sound that take hold of the viewer already in the first scene and don't let go unitl the end. Such a film is a deeply moving comment of the state of mind in contemporary Slovenia, but not only that. Namely, his almost hypnostic oscillating between feelings of yearning and desperation is something we are all familiar with. one way or the other."
More about the awards.
Italian premiere of the Liberation Day documentary will be at the Seeyousound International Music Film Festival in Torino - January 27th and regional screening at the Trieste Film Festival - January 22nd
Maruša Majer was with her leading role in Ivan (dir.:Janez Burger) selected for SHOOTING STARS!
“She gives a fearless, gritty and thoroughly soul-bearing quality to her work, that goes under both her and our skins – and refuses to let go. Maruša conveys a female animalism of a rarely seen strength.”
Shooting Stars Berlinale
Bolzano Film Festival Bozen 2016
At the 30th Bolzano Film festival Bozen the Focus Europe section will include 4 films produced by Staragara:
"Bread and Milk" (2011)
"Love on the top of the world" (short, 2015)
- screened on Thursday, 04/14/2016
"Idle Running" (1999 )
"Reconciliation" (short, 2014)
- screened on Saturday, 16/04/2016
TFF 2016 - Trieste, January 30th, 2016
"LOVE ON THE TOP OF THE WORLD" awarded at Trieste Film Festival, Director: Jan Cvitkovič
Trieste, January 26th, 2016
Amongs 6 selected project from RE-ACT also 2 co-production documentary films from Staragara:
- "Storks" production Antitalent (Hrvaška)
- "The Lost Dream Team", production Sekvenca (Hrvaška)
EFA 2015 - Berlin, November 7th, 2015
"DANCING WITH MARIA" nominated for prestigious European film award in the category of Documentary films, Director: Ivan Gergolet