Born in 1966.
archeologist, writer, actor, director, poet
AS DIRECTOR AND WRITER:
- Hundred dogs (director and writer) short film, 2012
- Premiere: FSF 2012, Portorož, Slovenia
- FSF 2012: Award for best music - by Primož Oberžan
- Archeo (director and writer) feature film, 2011
- Premiere: FSF 2011, Portorož: best film, best direction, best photography (Jure Černec)
- IFFI 2012, Innsbruck, Austria: The Award of the Province of Tyrol, the best international feature film
- Total gambit (director) documentary, 2010
- Documentary of the Month on TVSLO
- Premiere: Slovenian Cinemateque, Ljubljana, 15.11.2010
- This is Earth, my Brother (writer and director) short feature film, 2009
- I know (writer and director) short feature film, 2007
- WORLD PREMIERE
Locarno Film festival, 10.8.2008 ob 23.30 Piazza Grande
- REGIONAL PREMIERE
Sarajevo Film festival, 16.8. ob 21 National Theatre
- Gravehopping (director and writer) feature film, 2005
- IFF San Sebastian, Alatadis Award – Best First and Second Film
- IFF Warsaw, CentEast Award – Best Film, selected by accredited film professionals
- IFF Cottbus, Best Film Award, selected by the Festival Jury, Best Film Award, selected by the Ecumenic Jury
- IFF Torino, Best Film Award, Best Screenplay Award
- IFF Ljubljana, Special Jury Award
- Slovene Film Festival Portorož, Vesna – Best Feature Film 2005, Vesna – Best Supporting Actor Award – Drago Milinovič, Vesna – Best Supporting Actress Award – Sonja Savić
- IFF Spirit of Fire Khanty Mansisk, Silver Taiga – Second Best Film of the Festival Award, Most Impressive Film Scene Award
- IFF Sofia, No Man's Land – Best Balkan Film Award
- IFF Festroja Setubal, Silver Dolphin – Second Best Film of the Festival, CICAE Award – European Association of Art Cinemas
- IFF Palič Golden Tower – Best Film of the Festival
- IFF Pecs – Audience Award for Best Film, Best Photography Award – Simon Tanšek, Best Actor Award - Gregor Bakovič
- IFF Torun – Poland: Special Jury Award, Zygmunt Kalužynski Award – for special achievement in film
- IFF Noordelijk – Student Jury Award
- Heart is a Piece of Meat (director and writer) short film, 2003
- International premiere in the competition section Corto Cortissimo at the Venice International Film Festival
- Special Mention of the Festival Jury in Cottbus
- Best Short Film Award at the Gijon Film Festival
- Death is far Away
(sceenplay: Jan Cvitkovič and Igor Cvitkovič, director: Jan Cvitkovič) TV series (5 parts), 2002
- Bread and Milk (director and writer) feature film, 2001
- Lion of the Future – Best First Feature Film Award at the Venice Film Festival.
- Awards at the Slovene Film Festival in Portorož – the Stop magazine Best Actor and Best Actress Awards (Peter Musevski, Sonja Savić)
- International Film Festival in Cottbus – Special Jury Award, the Don Quijote Award - Prize of the International Federation of Film Clubs (FICC/IFFC Jury), Special Mention by Fipresci and Audience Juries
- International Film Festival LIFF in Ljubljana – Vodomec Award of the Main Jury for Best Film in the section ‘Perspektive’
- Bratislava International Film Festival – Best Actor Award (Peter Musevski) and Special Mention of the Fipresci Jury
AS A WRITER AND ACTOR:
- Switch Off, a number of scripts for the documentary TV series
- Idle Running (dir. J. Burger, 1999), feature film, writer (together with Janez Burger) and main act.
- Best Screenplay Award (2nd Festival of Slovene Film, Portorož, (1999), Stop magazine Actor of the Year (2nd Festival of Slovene Film, Portorož 1999)
- Yves Montand Award – Best Actor of the Festival (IFF Molodist, Kiev, 1999)
- Best Male Actor Award (IFF Cottbus 1999)
- Best Male Actor Award (IFF Faces of Love, Moscow, 2000).
The film received 20 Slovene and international awards all together.
- Robbery of the Century (dir. Urška Kos, 1995, finished 1998,), short feature film, writer.
- Grossman Award for Best Screenplay
- Film received awards at the festivals in Klagenfurt (Juvenalle, 2000) and Krakow, and was selected for the finals at the Tel Aviv Festival.
The feature film Ivan, directed by Janez Burger, received several Vesna awards at 20th jubilee edition of the Festival of Slovenian Film. Among other awards it was presented with the best feature and the jury explained its choice wiht the following words:"With Ivan Burger created a vertiginous danes of images and sound that take hold of the viewer already in the first scene and don't let go unitl the end. Such a film is a deeply moving comment of the state of mind in contemporary Slovenia, but not only that. Namely, his almost hypnostic oscillating between feelings of yearning and desperation is something we are all familiar with. one way or the other."
More about the awards.
After a successful Slovenian premiere, you can catch LIBERATION DAY in Slovenia in Kinodvor, Kolosej, Cineplexx, Slovenian Art Cinema Association.
Distribution starts on 23.03.2017
Italian premiere of the Liberation Day documentary will be at the Seeyousound International Music Film Festival in Torino - January 27th and regional screening at the Trieste Film Festival - January 22nd
Maruša Majer was with her leading role in Ivan (dir.:Janez Burger) selected for SHOOTING STARS!
“She gives a fearless, gritty and thoroughly soul-bearing quality to her work, that goes under both her and our skins – and refuses to let go. Maruša conveys a female animalism of a rarely seen strength.”
Shooting Stars Berlinale
Screening of short film
STAIRWAY (dir. Miroslav Mandić)
Monday, November 28, 2016
at 21:00 (Kinodvor, Ljubljana)
Word Premiere of Co-production film
LIBERATION DAY - Laibach in North Korea
at the most prestigious festival of documentary film
IDFA (AMSTERDAM), 19th of November 2016 at 19:30
The Premiere will follow live Laibach concert!
Slovenian Premiere of Co-production film
Life is a trumpet / Življenje je trobenta
FESTIVAL OF SLOVENIAN FILM
Wednesday, 14.09.2016 at 19:00
(Main Hall Avditorij Portorož)
Evening of short films, produced by Staragara
KINOTEKA, Miklošičeva 28, Ljubljana
Petek, 27. maja 2016 ob 19:00
- Love on the top
- Little Princ
- Sistemske napake
Bolzano Film Festival Bozen 2016
At the 30th Bolzano Film festival Bozen the Focus Europe section will include 4 films produced by Staragara:
"Bread and Milk" (2011)
"Love on the top of the world" (short, 2015)
- screened on Thursday, 04/14/2016
"Idle Running" (1999 )
"Reconciliation" (short, 2014)
- screened on Saturday, 16/04/2016
TFF 2016 - Trieste, January 30th, 2016
"LOVE ON THE TOP OF THE WORLD" awarded at Trieste Film Festival, Director: Jan Cvitkovič
Trieste, January 26th, 2016
Amongs 6 selected project from RE-ACT also 2 co-production documentary films from Staragara:
- "Storks" production Antitalent (Hrvaška)
- "The Lost Dream Team", production Sekvenca (Hrvaška)
EFA 2015 - Berlin, November 7th, 2015
"DANCING WITH MARIA" nominated for prestigious European film award in the category of Documentary films, Director: Ivan Gergolet
Ljubljana, September 9th, 2014
Short film "DRIVING SCHOOL" will be shown at Slovenian Film Festival in Portorose, Director: Janez Burger
Ljubljana, September 3rd, 2014
At the Venice Film Festival documentary "DANCING WITH MARIA" debut film about 90-year-old Argentine dancer Mary Fux
Ljubljana, September 3rd, 2014
At Slovenian Film Festival in Portorose short feature film "RECONCILIATION" will be shown, Director: Janez Burger
Ljubljana, September 3rd, 2014
Documentary film "DANCING WITH MARIA" will be shown at Slovenian Film Festival in Portorose, Director: Ivan Gergolet
Ljubljana, September 3rd, 2014
Feature film "TREE" will be shown at Slovenian Film Festival in Portorose, Director: Sonja Prosenc
Ljubljana, January 23rd, 2014
HUNDRED DOGS (Sto psov) available on web
Ljubljana, January 14th, 2014
Kinodvor will mark the 90th anniversary and pay tribute to Staragara's 10th anniversary by screening short films Sto psov (Hundred Dogs) by Jan Cvitkovič, KRIK (Scream) by Janez Burger and omnibus Venezia 70 - Future Reloaded which incorporated a short film I WAS A CHILD by Jan Cvitkovič.
Kinodvor, Ljubljana, 21st of January, 20:00
Venice, August 25th, 2013
Jan Cvitkovič invited to celebrate 70th anniversary of Venice International Film Festival.
Innsbruck, June 9th, 2012
ARCHEO awarded as best feature film at 21st IFFI, Austria!
Ljubljana, April 17th, 2012
ARCHEO on web
Check out more about the film, news and upcoming events on www.archeomovie.com!
Ljubljana, April 5th, 2012
ARCHEO in Slovene in cinemas!
Sofia, March 16th, 2012
World premiere of ARCHEO, film by Jan Cvitkovič will be held on Sofia International Film Festival.
Ljubljana, January 31st, 2012
ON THE SUNNY SIDE OF THE ALPS, short film by Janez Burger has in only two weeks on You Tube seen more then 14.000 people, while video with black Avseniki since it's upload in 2007 more then 76.000.
On the Sunny Side of the Alps
Ljubljana, January 25th, 2012
SILENT SONATA in Kinodvor
Film by Janez Burger is in cinema Kinodvor second most viewed film in Slovenia in 2011!
Ljubljana, January 2nd
A MAN AND HIS RAVEN, documentary by Sonja Prosenc is now in postproduction.
Ljubljana, December 9th
HUNDRED DOGS (LANDLINE), short film by Jan Cvitkovič is in postproduction.
Portorož, October 1st, 2011
Archeo won 3 prizes for best feature film, best direction, best cinematography.
Ljubljana, September 1st, 2011
BREAD AND MILK, IDLE RUNNING
Two best slovenian movies in the period from 1991 - 2011
PREMIERE OF DOCUMENTARY FILM TOTAL GAMBIT
On Tuesday, November 16th will be at 9 p.m .at TV Slovenia premeire of documentary film TOTAL GAMBIT by director Jan Cvitkovič.