JANEZ BURGER, writer, director and producer
Born 1965 in Kranj, Slovenia. He spent his childhood in Železniki. He studied on Faculty of Economics in Ljubljana and on FAMU in Prague, where he graduated from film and TV direction. He lives in Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- Ivan (co-writer and director) feature film, 2017
- Martin Krpan (writer) short animated film, 2017
- First 10 (writer and director) short film, 2016
- The Conversations about Vitomil Zupan (director), documentary film, 2014
- Reconciliation (writer and director) short film, 2014
- Driving school (writer and director) feature film, 2014
- The Elderly Parasite or Who is Marko Brecelj? (director) documentary film, 2013
- Starigrad Paklenica Film Festival, 2013: Velika paklenica award for best directing
- Portorož, 16th Festival of Slovenian film, 2013: Vesna award for best documentary film, Vesna award for best editing (Miloš Kalusek)
- DORF Vinkovci 2014: a special award of the jury
- Days of European Film Prague 2014
- Motovun Film Festival 2014
- Grossmann Fantastic Film and Wine Festival 2014 Ljutomer
- Trainstation Squat Kranj 2014
- International Documentary Film Festival DOKUDOC 2014 Maribor
- Silent Sonata (writer and director) feature film, 2010
- Portorož, 13th Festival of Slovenian film 2010: Vesna Award for best feature film, Vesna Award for best director (Janez Burger), Vesna Award for best make-up (Alenka Nahtigal), Vesna Award for best sound (Robert Flanagan), Vesna Award for best music (Drago Ivanuša) in Vesna Award for best supporting actor (Ravil Sultanov). Kodak Award For best photography (Diviš Marek). Award for the best film (FIPRESCI) by film critics and publicists.
- Rotterdam, International Film Festival, programme Spectrum
- Goteborg, International Film Festival
- Dublin, International Film Festival Jameson
- Sofia, International Film Festival
- Seattle, International Film Festival
- Shanghai, International Film Festival
- Galway, Film Festival
- Pula Film Festival, International competition programe
Best actors award
- Melbourne, International Film Festival
- Santa Rosa, International Film Festival
- Alexandria, International Film Festival, competition programme
Best artistic achievement award
- Haifa, International Film Festival
- Cork, Corona Film Festival
- Rome, MedFilm Festival
SILENT SONATA is submitted as Slovenian candidate to the Academy Awards in the category Best Foreign-Language Film in 2012.
SILENT SONATA is selected to participate in EUROPEAN FILM AWARDS 2011.
- Sonja (director and writer) feature TV drama, 2007
- Portorož, 11. Festival of Slovenian film 2008
Vesna Award for best make-up (Alenka Nahtigal)
- On the Sunny Side of the Alps (director and writer) short feature film, 2007
- Sarajevo international film festival, BiH, international competition, world premiere (17.-25.8.2007).
- Festival of Slovene film in Portorož, Slovenia, Slovene premiere (7-14 October 2007),
Vesna award for best short feature film.
- Theatre premiere, 15 October 2007 at 20.10 at the Kinodvor Cinema in Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- Zagreb International Film Festival, Croatia, international competition (21 - 27 October 2007).
- Warsaw International Film Festival (12 - 21 October 2007).
- Alpe Adria Cinema - Trieste Film Festival, Italia, international short film competition (17.1. - 24.1.2008),
Short Film Jury Special mention Award
- Rotterdam International Film Festival, The Netherlands, UIP Prix competition (23.1. - 3.2.2008).
- International short & independent film festival in Dhaka, Bangladesh, international competition (14.2. - 22.2.2008).
- European short film festival, Reus, Spain, european competition (5.3. - 16.3.2008).
- Sofia International Film Festival, Bulgaria, Best Balkan Short Films (6.3. – 16.3.2008).
- Film Festival EX-YU FEST, Podgorica, Montenegro (3.3. – 8.3.2008).
- International Film Festival Corto in Bra, Piemonte, Italy, competition programme (12.3. – 16.3.2008).
- Paris Tout Court Festival, France, international competition programme (11.3. – 18.3.2008).
- Film Festival Diagonale 2008, Graz, Austria (1.4. – 6.4.2008).
- 56th Trento Filmfestival, Italy, international competition (26.4. – 4.5.2008).
- NexT Film Festival, Bucharest, Romania (7.4. – 13.4.2008).
- Brussels Shortfilm festival, Belgium, YU films (25.4.-4.5.2008).
- 5th International Festival Amakula Kampala, Uganda (1.5. – 11.5.2008).
- International Film Festival Amsterdam Shorts!, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, international competition (28.5. – 1.6.2008).
- Festroia International Film Festival, Setubal, Portugal (6.6. - 15.6.2008).
- International Short Film Festival Kratkofil, Banja Luka, BiH, international competition (11.6. – 15.6.2008).
- Film Festival Côté Court, Pantin, France, Outre mer (10.6. – 21.6.2008).
- 43rd Karlovy Vary International Film Festival, Karlovy Vary,Czech Republic, East of the West (4.7. – 12.7.2008).
- Cervino CineMountain International Film Festival, Breuil-Cervinia, France, international competition (25.7.- 3.8.2008).
- Openluchtbioscoop / Open Air Cinema, Rotterdam, The netherlands (21.8.2008).
- Lessinia Film Festival, Bosco Chiesanuova, Italy, international competition (23. – 31.8.2008).
- Filmfest Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany, international competition (25.9. - 2.10.2008).
- International Short Film Festival Detmold, Detmold, Germany, international competition (2.10.-5.10.2008).
- International Filmfestival Passau, Passau, Germany, international competition (5.11. - 9.11.2008)
- International Mountain Film Festival, Bansko, Bulgaria, international competition (27.11. - 30.11.2008).
- International Film Festival Alpi Giulie Cinema 2009, Trieste, Italia, international competition (12.2. - 26.2.2009),
Best film award, Best screenplay award
- Ruins (director and co-writer) feature film, Emotionfilm, 2004
- 7th Festival of Slovenian Film 2004: Vesna Award for Best Film, Vesna Award for Best Direction (Janez Burger), Vesna Award for Photography (Simon Tanšek), Vesna Award for Music (Drago Ivanuša), Vesna Award for Best Main Actor (Darko Rundek), Vesna Award for Best Main Actress (Nataša Matjašec), Vesna Award for Best Supporting Actor (Matjaž Tribušon), Vesna Award for Best Supporting Actress (Nataša Burger), Best Film – Audience Award, the Stop magazine awards: for Best Actor (Darko Rundek), for Best Actress (Nataša Matjašec), for Best Episode Actor (Matjaž Tribušon), for Best Promising Actress (Janja Majzelj).
- International Premiere: Rotterdam Film Festival 2005
- Lecce Film Festival: Special Reale Mutua Assicurazioni Jury Award
- The film was shown on numerous film festivals, including Minneapollis, Karlovy Vary, Motovun, Kopenhagen, Sarajevo, Hamburg, Pecs, Kyiv, Braunschweig, Denver, Bratislava, Palm Springs, Chicago, Toronto, Montenegro, Prague, Budapest, Ottawa, Vancouvre….
Ruins were submitted to the 78th Academy Awards in the category
Best Foreign-Language Film (Slovenia) in 2006.
- Matura 2000 (director and writer) documentary, 2000
- Novak family (director) feature TV series, 2000
- Idle Running (director and co-writer) feature film, Emotionfilm and TV Slovenija, 1999
- Portorož, 2nd Festival of Slovenian Film, 1999: Best Feature Film, Best Screenplay, Best Film (Slovenian Film Critics’ Association Jury), Best Film (Audience Jury), the Stop magazine Actor of the Year (Jan Cvitkovič), the Stop magazine Young Actress of the Year (Mojca Fatur)
- International Premiere: IFF Karlovy Vary 1999, competition
- Cottbus Film Festival, Germany, 1999: Grand Prix – Best Film of the Festival, Special Prize for Best Actor (Jan Cvitkovič), Special Prize (FICC / IFFS Jury), Findling Award for Best Film (Interessverband Filmkommunikation e. V.)
- Sarajevo Film Festival, BIH, 1999: Special Jury Prize
- Montpellier Mediterranean Film Festival, France, 1999: Off Prix Award
- Kiev Molodist International Film Festival, 1999: Diploma for Second Best Feature Film, Yves Montand Award for Best Actor (Jan Cvitkovič), Special Prize (FICC / IFFS Jury)
- Brussels Intenational Film Festival, Belgium, 2000: Special Mention of the Jury
- Milano Film Festival, Italy, 2000: Self Critic Award
- Moscow, Faces of Love Film Festival, 2000: Grand Prix – Best Film of the Festival, Best Actor (Jan Cvitkovič)
- Trieste, Alpe-Adria Cinema, 2000: Grand Prix – Best Film of the Festival
- The film was shown on more than 50 international film festivals, including Karlovy Vary, Montreal, Toronto, Pusan, Thessaloniki, Mar del Plata, Palm Springs, New York, Minneapolis, Sydney, Jerusalem, Goteborg, Beograd,…
- Sweet Little House (director and writer) documentary, TV Slovenija,1998
- FILM STUDIES AND EXERCISES FOR TELEVISION, MADE DURING HIS STUDIES AT THE FAMU:
- DELTAPLAN (1991, 3 min), documentary
- ABOUT PEOPLE, TRAINS AND FILTH (1991, 5 min), documentary
- WAR FILM (1992, 5 min), short feature film
- TELEVISION MICROSCENE (1992, 10 min), short feature film
- CONFESSION (1993, 10 min), documentary
- SOLITUDE (1993, 15 min), short feature film
- MACEK (1994, 30 min) short feature film – Czech Literary Fund Prize
- Door (director and writer) short feature film, 1989
The feature film Ivan, directed by Janez Burger, received several Vesna awards at 20th jubilee edition of the Festival of Slovenian Film. Among other awards it was presented with the best feature and the jury explained its choice wiht the following words:"With Ivan Burger created a vertiginous danes of images and sound that take hold of the viewer already in the first scene and don't let go unitl the end. Such a film is a deeply moving comment of the state of mind in contemporary Slovenia, but not only that. Namely, his almost hypnostic oscillating between feelings of yearning and desperation is something we are all familiar with. one way or the other."
More about the awards.
After a successful Slovenian premiere, you can catch LIBERATION DAY in Slovenia in Kinodvor, Kolosej, Cineplexx, Slovenian Art Cinema Association.
Distribution starts on 23.03.2017
Italian premiere of the Liberation Day documentary will be at the Seeyousound International Music Film Festival in Torino - January 27th and regional screening at the Trieste Film Festival - January 22nd
Maruša Majer was with her leading role in Ivan (dir.:Janez Burger) selected for SHOOTING STARS!
“She gives a fearless, gritty and thoroughly soul-bearing quality to her work, that goes under both her and our skins – and refuses to let go. Maruša conveys a female animalism of a rarely seen strength.”
Shooting Stars Berlinale
Screening of short film
STAIRWAY (dir. Miroslav Mandić)
Monday, November 28, 2016
at 21:00 (Kinodvor, Ljubljana)
Word Premiere of Co-production film
LIBERATION DAY - Laibach in North Korea
at the most prestigious festival of documentary film
IDFA (AMSTERDAM), 19th of November 2016 at 19:30
The Premiere will follow live Laibach concert!
Slovenian Premiere of Co-production film
Life is a trumpet / Življenje je trobenta
FESTIVAL OF SLOVENIAN FILM
Wednesday, 14.09.2016 at 19:00
(Main Hall Avditorij Portorož)
Evening of short films, produced by Staragara
KINOTEKA, Miklošičeva 28, Ljubljana
Petek, 27. maja 2016 ob 19:00
- Love on the top
- Little Princ
- Sistemske napake
Bolzano Film Festival Bozen 2016
At the 30th Bolzano Film festival Bozen the Focus Europe section will include 4 films produced by Staragara:
"Bread and Milk" (2011)
"Love on the top of the world" (short, 2015)
- screened on Thursday, 04/14/2016
"Idle Running" (1999 )
"Reconciliation" (short, 2014)
- screened on Saturday, 16/04/2016
TFF 2016 - Trieste, January 30th, 2016
"LOVE ON THE TOP OF THE WORLD" awarded at Trieste Film Festival, Director: Jan Cvitkovič
Trieste, January 26th, 2016
Amongs 6 selected project from RE-ACT also 2 co-production documentary films from Staragara:
- "Storks" production Antitalent (Hrvaška)
- "The Lost Dream Team", production Sekvenca (Hrvaška)
EFA 2015 - Berlin, November 7th, 2015
"DANCING WITH MARIA" nominated for prestigious European film award in the category of Documentary films, Director: Ivan Gergolet
Ljubljana, September 9th, 2014
Short film "DRIVING SCHOOL" will be shown at Slovenian Film Festival in Portorose, Director: Janez Burger
Ljubljana, September 3rd, 2014
At the Venice Film Festival documentary "DANCING WITH MARIA" debut film about 90-year-old Argentine dancer Mary Fux
Ljubljana, September 3rd, 2014
At Slovenian Film Festival in Portorose short feature film "RECONCILIATION" will be shown, Director: Janez Burger
Ljubljana, September 3rd, 2014
Documentary film "DANCING WITH MARIA" will be shown at Slovenian Film Festival in Portorose, Director: Ivan Gergolet
Ljubljana, September 3rd, 2014
Feature film "TREE" will be shown at Slovenian Film Festival in Portorose, Director: Sonja Prosenc
Ljubljana, January 23rd, 2014
HUNDRED DOGS (Sto psov) available on web
Ljubljana, January 14th, 2014
Kinodvor will mark the 90th anniversary and pay tribute to Staragara's 10th anniversary by screening short films Sto psov (Hundred Dogs) by Jan Cvitkovič, KRIK (Scream) by Janez Burger and omnibus Venezia 70 - Future Reloaded which incorporated a short film I WAS A CHILD by Jan Cvitkovič.
Kinodvor, Ljubljana, 21st of January, 20:00
Venice, August 25th, 2013
Jan Cvitkovič invited to celebrate 70th anniversary of Venice International Film Festival.
Innsbruck, June 9th, 2012
ARCHEO awarded as best feature film at 21st IFFI, Austria!
Ljubljana, April 17th, 2012
ARCHEO on web
Check out more about the film, news and upcoming events on www.archeomovie.com!
Ljubljana, April 5th, 2012
ARCHEO in Slovene in cinemas!
Sofia, March 16th, 2012
World premiere of ARCHEO, film by Jan Cvitkovič will be held on Sofia International Film Festival.
Ljubljana, January 31st, 2012
ON THE SUNNY SIDE OF THE ALPS, short film by Janez Burger has in only two weeks on You Tube seen more then 14.000 people, while video with black Avseniki since it's upload in 2007 more then 76.000.
On the Sunny Side of the Alps
Ljubljana, January 25th, 2012
SILENT SONATA in Kinodvor
Film by Janez Burger is in cinema Kinodvor second most viewed film in Slovenia in 2011!
Ljubljana, January 2nd
A MAN AND HIS RAVEN, documentary by Sonja Prosenc is now in postproduction.
Ljubljana, December 9th
HUNDRED DOGS (LANDLINE), short film by Jan Cvitkovič is in postproduction.
Portorož, October 1st, 2011
Archeo won 3 prizes for best feature film, best direction, best cinematography.
Ljubljana, September 1st, 2011
BREAD AND MILK, IDLE RUNNING
Two best slovenian movies in the period from 1991 - 2011
PREMIERE OF DOCUMENTARY FILM TOTAL GAMBIT
On Tuesday, November 16th will be at 9 p.m .at TV Slovenia premeire of documentary film TOTAL GAMBIT by director Jan Cvitkovič.